Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Pesto

Something funny and delicious just happened when I whipped up a batch of sunflower seed pesto this afternoon. Here's the recipe, as close as I can recall:

a couple handfuls of fresh basil leaves
some sunflower seeds--1-2 cup, maybe a little more
maybe 6 or 7 cloves of garlic
olive oil, more than you intended (maybe a cup altogether)
coarse sea salt

At first, the sunnies didn't seem to be grinding up very well. I didn't take the time to soak them and my food processor is faithful, but very elderly and infirm. I drizzled in olive oil. Then more... and more...and suddenly the pesto started looking very smooth, but thick. More oil...lil more...I ended up with a creamy, fluffy, spreadable pesto butter. Incredibly, unctuously delicious. I'm going to dollop it on top of some slices of eggplant baked with sauce and feta cheese.

Alongside the eggplant, we'll have this salad:
two color quinoa
chickpeas
lots of fresh oregano
a big fat shredded zucchini
a little mince onion
a lot of tasty vine ripe tomatoes
fresh lemon juice
salt and pepper

No comments:

Post a Comment